Friday, March 4, 2011

Art As Language



I looked up videos teaching ASL (American Sign Language) online and came across this statement, "250 signs will cover 90% of what is commonly spoken." I was shocked and not entirely sure what to think. The vastness of our language gives us the ability to communicate such subtle nuances of meaning and emotion. I relish the nuances and the creative use of language. 250 signs? Well, I guess if all you want to accomplish is basic communication, some might see this as a good thing.


Art is similar. Anyone can pick up a brush and paints and given a little instruction and time come up with a pleasing piece. I think the best painters, though, aspire to much more. They are able to evoke a 3-dimensional space, movement or emotion from the viewer with deliberate brushstrokes. Small and tight or large and loose, each has the potential to draw you farther into the work or convey a specific emotion just like words in a novel. It's amazing to me to look at a flat 2 dimensional piece and have a response, to feel something. When I get a response like that from a stranger to a piece I created, it's truly the ultimate compliment.


Space, tone, texture, color, composition, balance, symmetry, movement...just a few tools that painters have at their disposal and of course each medium has its own inherent qualities to consider. Mastery of them can take a lifetime.


Keep exploring. Never stop learning. That's my plan.


About the painting:

"Late Lunch"

16" x 12" (art dimensions not including frame)

Acrylic on board

$1,200


A scene from a BBQ restaurant in Keller, Texas


See all of Rebecca's art at www.rebeccazook.com


1 comment: